(meteorobs) Leonids Storm late 1940s

tom6740 tom6740 at yahoo.com.cn
Mon Aug 2 22:23:14 EDT 2004

Maybe it's the Gacobinis storm on Octo. 1946.

--- In meteorobs at yahoogroups.com, "THOMAS HILL" <montefina at m...>
wrote:
> I was wondering if anyone knows of a Leonid storm during the
summer of around 1947-1949.  I was a child in California and saw a
sky full of moving stars which lasted at least an hour.  After
awhile, my family went inside, but when I checked about an hour
later, there were still about 10-15 stars a second moving.  I have
seen the woodcut of the 1833 meteor storm, and cannot say that my
experience was that all the stars were coming down toward the earth
as the woodcut shows.  It seems that the stars were crossing the sky
and going in all directions.  I have not read any account of this
event, and was wondering if it had been recorded anywhere.