(meteorobs) Perseids are coming next week! (was Re: Call for guest authors)

Wesley Stone wes_stone at lycos.com
Tue Aug 3 19:49:14 EDT 2004

Although the Moon will be up in the morning sky, it will be a waning
crescent that's less than 20% lit on the nights around the peak and
shouldn't be that nasty. Just face away from it. At most, it'll
lower your limiting magnitude by a couple of tenths. It's MUCH more
important to get away from serious artificial light pollution, which
can REALLY spoil your fun (OK, overcast skies are even worse).

Especially on the morning of the 12th, the approaching peak and the
high radiant elevation should encourage observers to watch until
morning twilight and probably see the best North American rates this
year.

http://skytour.homestead.com/per04.html

Hopefully, I'll get clear skies to put in a decent number of
observing hours from dark sites in Central Oregon.

--
Wes Stone
Chiloquin, OR