(meteorobs) a pretty anecdote

Richard Kramer kramer at sria.com
Wed Aug 4 01:31:32 EDT 2004

Strolling with my dog this evening between midnight and 1am (EDT), I was
watching the sky instead of the ground. Discouraged by the moon and the
urban light pollution, I was mainly curious to see how many constellations
I could locate in the poor conditions. As luck would have it, a bright,
perhaps -3 magnitude, green, 1 second persistent rather thick trail, medium
fast, 25 degree long likely SDA streaked overhead, not far displaced from
the meridian. I can't really be sure of the radiant, but whatever its
origin, it was a very pretty phenomenon. Even the dog seemed to appreciate it.

Maybe I should start training my dog as a guide dog so that during evening
walks he can watch where I'm going while I watch the skies.

Richard