(meteorobs) Giacobinid (Draconid) Meteor Shower 1946

Ed Majden epmajden at shaw.ca
Thu Aug 5 12:38:02 EDT 2004

on 8/4/04 23:19, Ed Majden at epmajden at shaw.ca wrote:
  Two papers were published, the first in the
> Astrophysical Journal (direct image paper) refr. 1950 ApJ...111..104J and
> the second paper (meteor spectra), R.A.S.C. Jour., Vol. 66, No.4, August
> 1972.
> Ed Majden
> AMS Meteor Spectroscopy Project Coordinator
> Courtenay, B.C. CANADA

    I forgot to note that a Mann Measuring Engine, similar to the one
mentioned in the Ap.J paper for measuring photographic plates sold on eBay a
few years ago at a fraction of its original cost.  It was in the south
eastern U.S.  I was going to bid on it but was scared off by shipping costs
as this thing is heavy.  If you do a search for "Mann Measuring Engine" with
google you can see photographs and descriptions of some of these
instruments.  I'm now sorry I didn't bid on it.  Never seen anything like it
since!
    I wonder if anyone knows where this unit ended up and what it is being
used for, if anything?  I think it was U.S. government surplus, perhaps from
the US Naval Observatory but I don't know for sure.

Ed