(meteorobs) Meteors Observing Sessions from Central Virginia

FELIX A MARTINEZ suejam1 at juno.com
Mon Aug 9 12:10:32 EDT 2004

Since the arrival of unexpected cool weather (night air temps between 10
and 15 degrees Celsius) for August, I have been eager to get out and
observe some meteors.  Plus, the moon is now definitely a "fat" waning
crescent and becoming less and less a factor each night.  It was good to
be out on a cool summer evening, seeing some nice meteors, and "training
up" for the three most important nights (August 10/11, 11/12, and 12/13).

On Friday night (August 6/7),at 0334 UT I observed a fine 1st magnitude
Blue Perseid that left a one-second train.

Then last night (August 8/9) I observed between 0325 and 0535 UT.
Probably would have observed more, except for the fact that a very
annoying large cloud bank moved in and obscured the sky for almost an
hour.  By the time I was ready to resume observing, the moon was already
up in the sky.  The results of my observations are as follows:

Observed in my Backyard in Amherst County, Virginia (Limiting Mag 6.3)

At 0223 UT I saw a beautiful zero magnitude Alpha Cap that was a lovely
Orange-Yellow.  This very much motivated me to get my observing gear
together and set up for a little more prolonged session of observing!

0325 - 0425 UT
        0328        Spor        5.0
        0352        Per          1.0        Green; 1 second train
        0403        Per          4.0                        6.3 LM; .95
Teff
* Obvious low rates prior to local midnight.*

0425 - 0525 UT
        0427        NDA        4.0
        0430        SIA         2.0        Blue
        0431        Per         5.0
        0439        Per         2.0        Yellow
        0440        Spor       4.0
        0444        Per         2.0        Green; 1 sec train
        0455        NIA        6.0
        0513        Per         3.0
        0517        Per         3.0
        0522        AC          3.0
        0524        Spor        4.0                        6.3 LM; .95
Teff

0525 - 0535 UT   NDA        2.0        Yellow        Seen @ 0535
        * By 0545 UT the sky was wiped out by a large cloud bank.*

Checked the sky again around 0630 UT, and it was just beginning to clear
again, but then the moon was already up in the sky.  Decided to pack it
in until the next night.  Plan is to observe some more, after 0425 UT on
9/10 August, provided it continues to remain clear.

Right now it does not look too promising for Central Virginia on the
night of maximum activity (Wednesday/Thursday).  I may end up jumping in
my Wife's truck and heading west on Interstate 64 to get on the backside
of another cold front.  May have to drive as far as Kentucky to find a
good clear sky for the max. night?  We shall see.

                        In Astronomical Affinity - Felix