(meteorobs) film any good for this year Perseids?

Ed Majden epmajden at shaw.ca
Mon Aug 9 12:39:33 EDT 2004

on 8/9/04 9:24, ykchia at chiayk1 at singnet.com.sg wrote:

> Hi folks:
>
> With the presence of cresent moon during the Perseids peak around 5 am
> my local time - does this means ruling out entirely photographic
> opportunity? Any comments..
>
> Thanks
>
> rgds
> ykchia

    I don't think the moon will be a problem.  Just don't aim your camera to
close to it.  Peter Millman conducted his classic spectra patrol program on
the Giacobinids on 1946 with a near full moon and he recorded many meteors.
Just make your exposures a bit shorter than you normally do after moon rise.

Ed Majden - AMS spectroscopy
Courtenay, B.C.
Canada