(meteorobs) Observation August 8/9 from Oregon

Wesley Stone wes_stone at lycos.com
Mon Aug 9 15:43:29 EDT 2004

I did a little deep-sky observing in the evening.  Around 10:50pm local time, while I was looking down at a chart, I saw a flash off the paper and looked up to see a 10-second train from a Perseid fireball.  A +1 orange Perseid followed within a minute.  I started casually watching meteors, and saw a few more over a half-hour. I decided to get up in the morning for the last hour before twilight.  I got out and...clouds from heck! Patchy stuff over the southern part of the sky.  I considered giving up and going back to bed, but settled on a partially obstructed field. The clouds were variable; sometimes I was able to open up to see slightly more of the sky. Rates were about what I'd expect given the conditions.

Observer: Wesley Stone (STOWE)
Location: Chiloquin, OR (42d 35m N, 121d 52m W)
Method: Counting: Watch/Tape recorder
Date: 2004 August 9 UT

Interval UT   Teff     F     LM    CAP   PER   Spo*
1047-1148     1.00   1.30    6.5    2     14    7

*Spo includes 1 Northern Apex meteor and 1 Southern Apex meteor. A couple of long, slow CAPs were distinctive, but any other Aquarid complex candidates (1 or 2) were counted as Spos as field center was far from these radiants.

Magnitude Distribution:

      -1   0    1    2    3    4    Total (Mean)
CAP   -    -    -    -    1    1      2    (3.5)
PER   1    -    2    6    2    3     14    (2.2)
Spo   -    -    1    1    5    -      7    (2.6)

--
Wes Stone
Chiloquin, OR