(meteorobs) even the locals are looking up....

arlene arlenecarol at tnn.net
Tue Aug 10 02:41:12 EDT 2004

I even have the 'natives' looking up for meteors this year!

I just heard from my neigbhor, who spends the nights out with his flock of
sheep, that two nights ago he witnessed a fireball. He wasn't sure of the
time but it was before midnight (maybe) and it lit up the ground like
'pyrotechniques'..

He'd never seen one like that before. Sorry I missed that!

I'm really envious but it would be almost impossible for me to get out to
the pasture where he keeps his sheep. And this year, we have a some people
from the city in this sleepy village and they had their garden lights on all
night. It really affected my observations. At any rate, I saw three mediocre
meteors last night during just 45 minutes of observing (between 10:15 and
11PM). More than likely they were Perseids. Nothing spectacular...maybe
tonight I'll have better luck...or maybe not!!

Skies are just Brilliant here this time of year. the Milky Way looks like a
cloud. Communications satellites are easy to spot.

A friend from Holland was visiting a few years ago during the Perseids and
he kept referring to three stars he called the 'summer triangle'...is this
something you are familiar with?

I'm looking forward to the next few nights.

Clear Skies y'all!

Arlene
in Western Turkey, south of Troy