(meteorobs) strange sight in Pegasus

Richard Kramer kramer at sria.com
Tue Aug 10 12:26:46 EDT 2004

While observing last night with the great square overhead, at approx 01:12
EDT, 10 Aug, I saw something strange right next to the star Alpheratz.
Practically on top of this star, less than a minute to its east, I saw what
I, at first, thought was the strobe light of a high flying jet. But the
"strobe" was not translating across the sky. Also, each succeeding "strobe
flash" did not really have the character of a strobe flash, but was
extended a fraction of a second in time. In total I saw four flashes,
bright white, perhaps magnitude 0 or -1, one after the other, during the
course of some 6 or 8 seconds. The dark intervals between the flashes were
not uniform, nor were the flashes themselves of uniform duration. My
thoughts went something like this...

Where did that airplane suddenly come from ....  it's not moving.....  a
tumbling satellite in high orbit?  ...  .... could that have been 4 meteors
entering vertically ? !!! ? .....

Since I'm not really sure what this was, I didn't log these flashes as
meteors.  But the more I think it over, the more I'm inclined to believe
that I saw 4 successive meteors entering vertically. I'm not sure if I can
trust my perceptions, but the third of the four flashes seemed to look more
like an extremely short line (or track) rather than a pure point.

Any thoughts or explanations?

Richard