(meteorobs) strange sight in Pegasus

edward moore edward_f_moore at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 10 13:23:59 EDT 2004

Hi
The Iridium flashes have been mentioned in the last post. Just for the record I did see 3 iridium flashes last summer I believe it was. All 3 were within 1-3 minutes of each other and all in a fairly small section of the sky. The only reason I saw them and knew were to look was from the posting on the German space site. Maybe you could check with their site and see if they showed any satellites in that area / time.

Richard Kramer <kramer at sria.com> wrote:
At 01:03 PM 8/10/04 -0400, you wrote:
>In a message dated 8/10/2004 12:30:19 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
>kramer at sria.com writes:
>
><< a
> tumbling satellite in high orbit? >>
>
>Richard:
>
>I think this seems to be a good answer. There are some wildly
>tumbling satellites up there, although it seems a bit late in the
>night. On Sunday at about the same time I saw a satellite
>disappear into the Earth's shadow at an elevation of about 70
>or 80 degrees overhead toward the East.

I don't think it was a satellite. It would be a strange sort of tumble
which could produce exactly 4 non uniform flashes of that nature. Another
thing which argues against a satellite is that the flashes were not
translating and there were only 4 of them. If it was a tumbling satellite
in high orbit, I would expect to see more repetitions of the flashes. Also,
the flashes were considerably brighter than any tumbling satellite I've
ever seen (although not as bright as iridium flares). If this came off of a
high orbit satellite, it would have to be huge.

Richard