(meteorobs) Meteors Observing Session from Central Virginia (August 10/11)

FELIX A MARTINEZ suejam1 at juno.com
Wed Aug 11 11:42:46 EDT 2004

The threat from the approaching cold front is beginning to disrupt the
sky conditions here in Central Virginia.  Good skies will likely not be
had tonight for the maximum.  Will likely just have to settle for looking
at bright Perseids and other bright meteors between haze and clouds.
Since the sky conditions were so lackluster last night (LM 5.8 to LM 6.0
- at best), the value of these observations also is much depreciated.
Let's just hope for the best and I certainly hope that the rest of You
have much better conditions to look forward  to this evening for the max
night!

Results for August 9/10 from my Amherst County Backyard are as follows:

0425 - 0525 UT
0429        Per        -1        Blue; 1 sec train    deep in SW Sky
0432        Per         5
0438        Per         2        Yellow; 1 sec train
0449        Per         4
0451        Spor       3
0510        KapCyg   2        Yellow
0511        AC        -3        Orange-Yellow;        SWEET!!!
0514        Spor       5
0515        AC         2         Yellow
0517        SIA        5
0519        Per        4                                6.0 LM; 1.00 Teff

0525 - 0625 UT
0532        Spor        3
0534        Per         -2        Blue; 2 sec train; Nice terminal burst!
0536        Spor        4
0537        Per          3
0555        Per          3
0608        Per          1        Green; 1 sec train
** At 0612 sky conditions deteriorated quickly with 50% cloud cover**
0620        Per          4
0623        Spor        5   Saw this meteor in the only remaining dark
"hole!"
                                        5.8 LM; 0.85 Teff

At 0808 UT I saw a 3rd magnitude Perseid and then went to bed.

Guess that I am rather "spoiled" after all those early years of official
meteor observing with Norman W. Mcleod III in South Florida (1976 - 1980)
with those 7.0+ limiting magnitude skies.  Plus I had very young and
effective teenage eyes then!!!  The FAMster is beginning to age and my
perception is definitely going down!!  Oh bother!

                        In Astronomical Affinity - Felix