(meteorobs) Great Square mystery solved

Richard Kramer kramer at sria.com
Thu Aug 12 00:44:55 EDT 2004

Thanks to Tony Beresford, who researched satellite passes for 10 AUG 1:12
AM EDT for my location in Sharon MA, the mystery of the 4 flashes I saw
next to the star Alpharatz seems to be solved.

Tony sent me the plot of the track for the Globalstar M023 satellite. It
passed exactly through the location where I observed the flashes from
01:11:50 to 01:11:56 EDT 10 AUG. I logged the flashes as occurring at 01:12
EDT. Either this is an improbably bizarre coincidence, or the flashes I saw
came off this satellite.

Orbiting at an altitude of 1400 km, it was translating slowly enough that I
did not detect the movement while seeing the flashes.

Nice bit of detective work, Tony!

Regards,
Richard