(meteorobs) RE: ready in Florida for Perseids max

Norman W. McLeod III nmcleod at peganet.com
Thu Aug 12 00:17:48 EDT 2004

While loading the car at 11 PM I saw an intense orange  -3m Perseid coming
straight up from a tree in the NE, with 1-second train.  Looks like we will
be somewhat clear although the inland counties still have lingering cirrus
clouds.  Planning on observing about 215 to 600 AM.

Lew had to evacuate the Keys after the rangers came around to pass the
word.  He called me around noon, and again after 3 PM on the way out.  Now
it's cloudy down there from a bunch of convection debris that moved north
from Cuba ahead of the hurricane.  I'm just far enough away from it to see
the best Perseid hours.

Friday morning after sunrise looks to be the time for weather action
here.  Almost like being in the 1-3 pocket with a 16-lb curve ball coming,
judging from the map with the expected path.  Maybe it will stay just
offshore and be only tropical-storm force in town.  But further upstate
will be worse.

Norman

Norman W. McLeod III
Staff Advisor