(meteorobs) Re: Perseid Max in sw Florida

Norman W. McLeod III nmcleod at peganet.com
Thu Aug 12 06:50:00 EDT 2004

Surprisingly strong Perseid show for a couple of hours.  226 - 326 with 54
Perseids, then 43 more the next hour.  It was slowing down at the end, and
we stayed only 10 more minutes with 3 more Perseids, too dull to continue
with all the mosquitoes.  Magnitudes seem similar to the Texas
report.  Started off with a  green  -8m Kappa Cygnid? at 213 EDT --
first-ever KC fireball for me.  It was right under Capella and went only 5
degrees in 2 seconds.  Half-degree disk.  Short path that far from Cygnus
makes me wonder.  Close alignment with Perseids also but much too
slow.  Might have to settle for sporadic.  Sky was LM 7.2 until moonrise.

Norman

Norman W. McLeod III
Staff Advisor
American Meteor Society