(meteorobs) Persieds from northern California Aug 11-12

Bill Smith BSmith at rchdc.org
Thu Aug 12 15:18:03 EDT 2004

A short report on the Persieds, done through red and bleary eyes.  Observed
from Potter Valley, CA

Watching under what was one of the best nights I have ever seen (we could
see to magnitude 5 with ease) we saw quite a show.  The peak occurred for us
on the west coast around 10:00 UT.  Most meteors were around magnitude 1.5
with a number earlier in the night reaching -3 and -4, with the highlight
being a -7 near Polaris, with the trail lasting some 20 seconds.  Most all
left short trains.  Colors were varied, with some reddish, silver and on one
occasion, blue. Almost a red-white-and blue show at times.

The activity came in spurts and at one time we recorded 9 in one minute,
while at times 4 or 5 minutes went by with little or now activity.  Some
faint members were seen, but must seemed about 0 magnitude.  We also saw two
members that "skipped" off the upper atmosphere only to flash again an
instant later.  These were the "Earth grazers when the radiant point was on
the North East horizon.
I am still working out the Z-hour rates, but during a period from 09:00 to
10:00UT, we estimated the rate at around 110 per hour.

When we observed the two nights before the maximum, we were surprised at how
many shower members were present, indicating a good showing.

One thing held true about this shower.  At times two members were seen
together, indicating these particles might have broken apart some time ago
and stayed close together.

I have observed the Persieds nearly every year and only the 1997 outburst
was greater.
Clear Skies to all, Bill R. Smith   Ukiah, CA