(meteorobs) Perseids before a Hurricane (GRALE, 11/12 Aug 2004)

Lew Gramer mameteors at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 12 21:10:06 EDT 2004

Thanks to Mark Davis for forwarding my abbreviated reports from my first two
beautiful nights in the Florida Keys, observing the Perseids and the other 6
active IMO radiants.

What would prove to be my final night in the Keys turned out to be the best of
all - with a cooling, mosquito-blowing 15 knot ocean breeze soughing through
the Australian pines and palm trees all night long. A thunderhead squatting in
the Florida strait somewhere south of Key West would blast my eyes from time to
time late in the session, but the meteors and the magnificent Milky Way were a
rare balm.

I left the beach very reluctantly this night, watching the lemon-rind crescent
moon rise through the mangroves with a heavy heart. Little did I realize that
it would turn out to be my final night in the Keys for this trip! At 8:45 the
next morning, the Park Rangers went from tent to tent, letting us know the
possibility that we would be orderd to evacuate later that day.....

SUMMARY REPORT:
Observer: Lew Gramer (GRALE)
Location: Long Key, FL, USA (24.82 lat, -80.81 lon)