(meteorobs) Observations from Malta (GALMR) and (ZAMJO)

Martin Galea De Giovanni martingd at onvol.net
Fri Aug 13 07:55:15 EDT 2004

Perseid Meteor Shower Report

Date : August 11/12, 2004
Begin: 23:00 UT
End:   03:21 UT
Observer: Martin Galea De Giovanni (GALMR)
Location: Ahrax Tal-Mellieha, Malta
Lat: N 35.98842d
Long: W 14.3552d
Elev: 75m
Total Teff : 4hrs 22min
Recording Method: Visual

Start  End    	Teff    LM     PER        SPO     ZHR (r = 2)
23:00	23:10	00:11	5.7	3		46.64
23:11	23:21	00:11	5.7	4	1	60.24
23:22	23:33	00:12	5.7	8	1	106.99
23:34	23:45	00:12	5.7	4	2	51.84
23:46	23:57	00:12	5.7	10	2	125.78
23:58	00:09	00:12	5.7	13		158.97
00:10	00:21	00:12	5.7	7	1	83.35
00:22	00:33	00:12	5.7	7	1	81.28
00:34	00:45	00:12	5.7	12	2	136.1
00:46	00:57	00:12	5.7	20	1	221.87
00:58	01:09	00:12	5.7	20	1	217.35
01:10	01:21	00:12	5.7	11	1	117.27
01:22	01:33	00:12	5.9	16	2	145.88
01:34	01:45	00:12	5.9	19	1	170.42
01:46	01:57	00:12	5.9	12	2	106.03
01:58	02:09	00:12	5.9	18	1	156.89
02:10	02:21	00:12	5.9	24	3	206.63
02:22	02:33	00:12	5.9	17	1	144.77
02:34	02:45	00:12	5.4	17		202.77
02:46	02:57	00:12	5.2	13	2	176.64
02:58	03:09	00:12	5.2	18		242.86
03:10	03:21	00:12	5.2	7		93.91

Magnitudes:  -7    -6   -5    -4    -3      -2      -1      0      1     2
    3     4      5  TOTAL
---------------------------------------
PERSEIDS      1   2     1     7    11    15      32     50    63   41   39
   15     3  ( 280 )
SPORADICS     -   -      -     -      -       -        3       5      4
7     3      4     -   ( 25 )

Comments:

I was surprised with the good show ! Although I started my observation at
23:00 UT I was at the site much earlier as we organised a public event and
had a crowd of hundreds of people. At around 21:00 UT there was definitely
a higher perseid rate, unfortunately I was still not in "observing mode".
The good thing is that a very large crowd of people managed to witness high
meteor rates, some very bright ones too, very easily and so early in the
night . In fact there were many people clapping and cheering !

During the proper observation, I managed to see a couple of bright ones,
but as recorded in the tables above, there weren't many of them. There
seems to be a pattern, both from what I wrote in my observations and also
from what I saw before, that the first part of the night had brighter
perseids then the second part. We had perfectly clear skies, no clouds but
slightly hazy at intervals. The moon rose at 00:30 UT but it did not effect
the observation in any way. In fact I moved my observing position as the
radiant moved higher up in the sky, and this eliminated the moon from my
observing field.
Thank you Perseus for another good show !

Perseid Meteor Shower Report

Start  End    	Teff    LM     PER        SPO     ZHR (r = 2)
23:00	23:10	00:11	5.8	5	1	72.53
23:11	23:21	00:11	5.8	8	0	112.41
23:22	23:33	00:12	5.8	10	3	124.78
23:34	23:45	00:12	5.8	7	0	84.64
23:46	23:57	00:12	5.8	12	2	140.83
23:58	00:09	00:12	5.8	9	0	102.69
00:10	00:21	00:12	5.8	10	3	111.1
00:22	00:33	00:12	5.8	16	2	173.35
00:34	00:45	00:12	5.8	16	4	169.31
00:46	00:57	00:12	5.8	17	3	175.96
00:58	01:09	00:12	5.8	25	1	253.49
01:10	01:21	00:12	5.8	16	2	159.15
01:22	01:33	00:12	6.13	18	4	142.87
01:34	01:45	00:12	6.13	24	1	187.4
01:46	01:57	00:12	6.13	17	4	130.76
01:58	02:03	Break		0
02:04	02:15	00:12	5.8	24	4	222.79
02:16	02:27	00:12	5.8	23	1	211.04
02:28	02:45	Break		0
02:46	02:57	00:12	5.8	19	0	170.32
02:58	03:09	00:12	5.49	21	0	230.14
03:10	03:21	00:12	5.26	11	1	147.57

Magnitudes:
-8   -7    -6   -5    -4    -3      -2      -1      0      1     2     3
  4      5  TOTAL
---------------------------------------
PERSEIDS    1   -       2     1    6    11    17      23    35    63   39
69    37      4  ( 308 )
SPORADICS  -    -       -     -     -      -      1        2     1      8
  4     14      6        -   ( 36 )

Comments:

The weather throughout the whole observation was fine, no clouds of any
sort, except for some slight haze which reflected lights from built-up
areas.  However this haze was made its presence felt only intermittently
since a light wind blowing from inland must have helped to keep the level
of haze at our cliff-edge site to a minimum.

The moon, which rose some time after 00:30 UT, despite being a very small
crescent, produced a halo of light that was quite big, probably due to the
high humidity.  Luckily by that time the radiant had nearly reached the
zenith, and we turned our position by 180 deg to face west instead of
east.  However, since we were lying down we could still survey nearly the
whole sky (we missed the huge fireball that flared and lit up the whole
landscape like a bolt of lightning though - it must have been very close to
the eastern horizon, which we were avoiding due to the moon's glare.

Compared to other years, it looks that the Perseids were brighter,
producing an uncommonly large number of bright meteors and fireballs,
especially closer to the first peak, which personally I missed out
completely since i started at 23UT of the 11th August.  Anyway, it was a
very satisfying night, with the help of both Perseus and Pink Floyd, who
provided continuous entertainment all night - i really felt comfortable
(though not so numb).