(meteorobs) (MATBE) Initial impressions Aug 11/12 & 12/13, 2004 PERSEIDS from SE KS

Bertunit at aol.com Bertunit at aol.com
Sat Aug 14 15:00:35 EDT 2004

Spent the two above nites at a remote bed and breakfast cabin W of Pittsburg,
KS.
Had a real scare on max nite with scattered clouds the first hr. of
observation
at the end of eve. twilight but got 2.5 hr.s clear farther into the eve.  I
CONFIRM
an activity spike at approx 1245-115am, (0545-0615 UT) w/then some sig lulls
between the usual 2-5 Perseid batches.  With the low radiant altitude from
my site my ZHR will be high in that time frame.  Rainier, will try to have
the basic totals in this eve. (SUN) to the list.

I sucessfully double station observed a fine -6 followed within seconds by
a -2 Perseids with D Stine's Pawhuska OK team, my brighter magnitudes
result of being directly under the meteors as they observed them in the E &
SE sky.  We also saw a nice -2 Kappa Cygnid together.

Still had Lacertid activity noticeable, and a radiant in NE Cygnus (NOT K cyg)
produced several meteors as well.

The following evening had a dozen Perseids the first hr. after dark, which
surprised me, as well.

Overall I give this display a thumbs-up, overall quite a few bright ones,
was thrilled to show the proprieter's of the cabin a good falling star
show.  They graciously turned off ALL lights at their antique store, personal
house, and called neighbor's to do the same for me.  They were impressed
by the show!

Regards,

Bert Matous
back in OP KS