(meteorobs) Re: Charley the nuisance

Norman W. McLeod III nmcleod at peganet.com
Sun Aug 15 01:18:17 EDT 2004

Joan and I made it just fine after a heavy brush with Hurricane
Charley.  Power was off for 26 hours -- we got it back just in time to not
lose the freezer food.  Don't open the refrigerator unless absolutely
necessary.  Still having water and phone made the blackout period
bearable.  I showered with cold water a couple of times and sprinkled with
water as necessary to stay cool while the air conditioning was off.  There
is no excuse for dying in a heat wave if water is available; how often are
people found dead in heat all bundled up in clothes?  We are fortunate to
remain intact when so many people up the road don't have anything left.

As best I can tell now, the eye of Charley passed 10-15 miles west of
us.  It looked like winds at 75-80 with gusts to 90, plus 8 inches of
rain.  We have the strongest rolldown shutters available for all windows
and even the exit doors.  Each shutter is fastened on the outside of the
opening in concrete block with 32 screws.  No water got inside.  I kept 3
shutters up for viewing on the lee sides, and was watching for almost 3
hours straight.  One window I also opened to hear the roar.  Saw various
trees break up and uproot.  An early gust knocked over all of our largest
banana trees -- just one big splat sound.  There was no house damage in our
neighborhood, an old one and built well.  We are also shielded by two
2-story apartment buildings in the back and a 1-story house on either side,
plus the elevation at our spot is 12 feet -- critical for storm surge.  The
river is only 3 blocks away.  Living in a mobile home on low ground near
the water is not the wisest thing to do.  It may be less costly but it can
come to an end in minutes.  Our yard is pretty well trashed and will need a
couple of weeks to clean up.  The water had already sunk into the ground a
day later.

This was Joan's first hurricane, and my first in the daytime.  All others
back to 1950 came at night.  I was able to see black clouds with heavy
squalls coming.  It was unusually still until quite late when a squall came
suddenly and took us to 50 mph.  I could hear the roar in the trees
approaching with a curtain of rain.  There were people caught in the open
by that -- mad scramble to get to safety.  At no time was I concerned with
a strong house to hide in.  The tune might have changed if we had gotten
the 145-mph winds here.

The sudden strengthening just before landfall reminds me of the 1935 Keys
storm that was a category 5.  It only did a short hop from its origin in
the Bahamas as a small storm but quickly developed the lowest central
pressure on record in the Western Hemisphere, 26.35" of mercury.  Hundreds
were trapped in the Keys and died in a 20-foot storm surge with winds at 200.

Last night the sky over Fort Myers was LM 6.5 with so many lights
out.  Tonight it is barely 6.0.  Can't consider going out of town for
observing, roads are cluttered with debris and traffic lights are out.

I lived in Punta Gorda, 26 miles north of here, for the school years
1973-75.  A delightful place to live, and a couple of great years for
meteor observing.  Punta Gorda was ground zero for the hurricane.  Towns
never look the same after a storm like this one.  They have to be
completely rebuilt.

Norman
Norman W. McLeod III
Staff Advisor