(meteorobs) Maps for telescopic observations

Malcolm J. Currie mjc at star.rl.ac.uk
Wed Aug 18 10:43:21 EDT 2004

Pavol,

Shame you didn't ask sooner, I could have helped.

> does anyone know about site, where I can find telescopic
> maps for plotting? I`d like to observe PER with
> Somet Binar 25x100, or with Binar 12x60. I need some fields
> somewhere in Cep or  And.

There are some old Czechoslovakian charts for the Somet 25x100, which I
have copies from Jan Hollan.  These include sets for the Perseid and
Quadrantids.  I don't know if these are online, and whether there would
be any objection to making them available.  I've not heard from Jan in
years, although he was awarded some prize recently for I think combating
light pollution.  Petr Pravec or Vladimir Znojil may be able to advise
us on publication of those charts.

I also have produced several sets of telescopic charts, one of which
would have suited the 12x60.  With Lew's encouragement, I had started in
Hawaii to scan the main charts for online access. The quality wasn't as
good as the originals, but they've serviceable.  Back in the UK I've not
had access to a scanner, and hence that's on hold.  I id ask about
getting one again for publicity work in our project (-:, and while there
was a yes, it's not appeared.

I've recently bought a Windows 98 laptop, succumbing to the Evil Empire
to run Metrec and RADIANT software.  I intend to buy a scanner for that,
and resume uploading charts.  If anyone has recommendations for decent,
but not expensive, scanners with software that could cope with star
charts, I'd be delighted to hear suggestions.

BTW the luminosity function (magnitude distributuion) of the Perseids is
such that you wouldn't see many with a big binocular.  You'd be better
off with 30 or 40-mm lens to plot the radiant sturcuture and count
fainter Perseids. I see few with my 19.5x127 refractor.

If you need charts for any upcoming events, give me good warning and
I'll send you some, if I've not got them uploaded already.

Malcolm Currie