Geminids (Meteorobs)

Skywayinc at aol.com Skywayinc at aol.com
Thu Aug 19 17:33:28 EDT 2004

In a message dated 8/19/2004 5:04:09 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
GLDSKTR at aol.com writes:
I am also planning on catching them this year. I would like to know if the
peak night is Dec 11-12, or 12-13. I'll be able to take the day off work to
be
out all night.
Actually, according to the RASC Handbook, the 2004 peak is predicted to occur
at around 22h UT on December 13, which means that the night of December 13-14
(Monday night/Tuesday morning) will be when Geminid activity will be most
prolific.  Hourly rates tend to be about 1/4 of the peak numbers on the two
nights prior to . . . and the night immediately after the peak.  Take note that
because the Geminid radiant (near the star Castor) passes almost directly
overhead at around 2 a.m. local time, the actual visual activity should be very close
to the oft-quoted ZHR (Zenithal Hourly Rate).

Depending on how keen your perception is . . . how dark your observing site .
. . and how much of the sky you can see . . . peak rates could range anywhere
from 60 to 120 per hour.

One last point . . . Geminid meteors that are seen up until the peak are
generally rather faint.  But once the peak is reached, the incidence of bright
meteors and fireballs tends to noticeably increase.

-- joe rao