Geminids (Meteorobs)

Paul Jones jonesp0854 at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 20 08:08:50 EDT 2004

Skywayinc at aol.com wrote:One last point . . . Geminid meteors that are seen up until the peak are generally rather faint.  But once the peak is reached, the incidence of bright meteors and fireballs tends to noticeably increase.

Yes, indeed, I second Joe's motion here too.  The Gems have the the most pronounced post-max brightening/mass-sorting of any of the major showers I've seen by far.  I have only seen it a time or two since Florida weather is usually atrocious in December, but it is truly a magnificent sight to behold.  I would think the best night to see it this year is Dec 14/15, based on the predicted max.  Rates are much lower, but the meteors you do see are awesome!
Regards, Paul in N FL

http://mail.yahoo.com