(meteorobs) Re: Geminids time of maximum against magnitude

Malcolm J. Currie mjc at star.rl.ac.uk
Fri Aug 20 11:08:14 EDT 2004

> Scientists have give the predictions about Leonids and Perseids, but
> it seems no one has give any predictions about Geminids...

They have.  There was a paper (Fox et al. 1983 I think) which claimed
that the Geminids might soon be on the decline.

http://adsabs.harvard.edu/cgi-bin/nph-bib_query?bibcode=1983MNRAS.205.1155F

This also talks about the mass segregation.

There is a classic BAA paper by George Spalding looking at the time of
maximum against brightness.

http://adsabs.harvard.edu/cgi-bin/nph-bib_query?bibcode=1984JBAA...94..109S

Both radar

http://adsabs.harvard.edu/cgi-bin/nph-bib_query?bibcode=1989BAICz..40..288S

and telescopic data (sorry can't lay my hands on the reference where
this is reported at the moment) have shown that the fainter meteors peak
earlier than the bright ones.  There are a number of effects that cause
this mass segregation.  See Jim Jones's paper

http://adsabs.harvard.edu/cgi-bin/nph-bib_query?bibcode=1985MNRAS.217..523J

and another by Duncan Steel.

http://adsabs.harvard.edu/cgi-bin/nph-bib_query?bibcode=1987MNRAS.226....1O

No doubt there have been more recent studies, but I think the above
papers is where the 20-year recollection mentioned already arose.

Malcolm Currie