(meteorobs) IMO METEOR REPORT: 08/09 Aug 2004, Lew Gramer (GRALE)

Ed Majden epmajden at shaw.ca
Fri Aug 20 21:09:20 EDT 2004

on 8/20/04 17:41, Lewis J. Gramer at lgramer at upstream.net wrote:

> =======================
> MAGNITUDE DISTRIBUTIONS
> =======================
> -1      0       1       2       3       4       5       6       TOTAL
> PER     0       0       0       0.5     1.5     2       0       0       4
> NDA     0       0       0       0       1       0       0       0       1
> SDA     0       0       0       0       0       1       0       0       1
> SIA     0       0       0       0       0       1       0       0       1
> CAP     0       0       0       0       0       1       2       0       3
> PAU     0       0       0       0       1       1       0       0       2
> KCG     0       0       0       0       0       0       0       0       0
> AQR     0       0       0       0       1.5     0.5     0       0       2
> Spor    0       1       0       3       1       4.5     1.5     0       11
>
> TOTAL   0       1       0       3.5     6       11      3.5     0       25

Hi Lew:
    I note from your report above, the absents of bright minus magnitude
meteors.  Was this the same for others on the two nights of maximum. As you
know I operate a Sandia All-sky camera from my location and it has a
detection capability of around -3 mag and brighter.  It did not record
anything and the two spectrographs I had set up had negative results also.
I've never seen a year like it with the absents of bright meteors at my
location.  One positive report.  A friend of mine, Garry Dymond from
Newfoundland recorded his first spectrum with a holographic thin film
grating I gave him in 1997.  He had run out of b&w film on his 2-1/4 Sqr.
format camera and switched the grating over to a 35mm which had colour film
in it.  He captured the 1st order spectrum of a -3.0 Perseid on colour film.
Also a bit of the second order.  Congratulations to Garry!  I told him he
would get one eventually if he kept trying! ;-)

Clear skies:
Ed