(meteorobs) Fw: Fireball Report August 10, 2004 9pm-11pm, south visitor center of Grand Canyon's south rim in Arizona, USA

Ed Majden epmajden at shaw.ca
Sat Aug 21 21:41:47 EDT 2004

on 8/21/04 17:31, Mark Davis at meteors at comcast.net wrote:

> [...]
    I see reports like this all the time.  I don't really understand why
amateur astronomers, campers etc, don't have an adequate kit with them like
a sighting compass, a map, and possibly an angle measuring device like a
clinometer or builders roof slope measuring device.  That latter costs about
$5.00 from building suppliers.  A GPS would be nice also but a good map will
also work.  With the above you can take serious measurements that are useful
to a fireball investigator.  Accurate time is also important.
    With a minimum investment you can assemble a "Fireball Kit" that will
provide useful scientific data.  It will also help you, should you get lost
on outdoor outings!

Ed Majden
Sandia Bolide Detection Station
Courtenay, B.C.  Canada.