(meteorobs) Preliminary results from Belgian observers

Geert Barentsen geert.barentsen at pandora.be
Sat Aug 21 22:25:21 EDT 2004

Belgian observers from the Urania observatory observed the Perseids from
different locations in Europe (eastern France, southern France and
Romania).  Data was gathered throughout August 10-16; approx. 200 effective
hours by 20 observers. Most observers experienced clear skies during the
maximum night!  Data will be submitted soon, after a final double-double-check.

Some early impressions:

- Our data confirms the IMO circular; a short peak was seen around 21UT
(approx. 2x normal activity)... The peak is clearly present in the 5-minute
intervals of all observers, and is not the result of a big/unreliable
correction factor caused by the low radiant elevation (approx 25° at 21UT
in eastern France).

- Additional features (e.g. midnight 11-12) and high activity in general
were noticed.

- The 21UT peak may have been dominated by weak meteors. I did some r-value
calculations tonight (hence the reason why I'm not sleeping at 4:30 am),
and noticed very low population index values near the 21UT peak. Note that
the used dataset and technique (log10 + linear fit) is definitly not
suitable to draw conclusions, but I do expect the 21UT peak to become even
more clear in a global analysis that takes into account the variation of
the population index for ZHR determination. (Do notice: I'm a newbie in
this matter, not an expert).

Kind regards,
Geert Barentsen