(meteorobs) e-Eridanids

Mikhail Maslov ast0 at mail.ru
Mon Aug 23 14:41:12 EDT 2004

Lew,
This paper address is
http://aio.arc.nasa.gov/~leonid/ICARUSLP-final.pdf
The full name is epsilon-Eridanids. The stream is also known as
pi-Eridanids and gamma-Eridanids. In "Unusual meteor streams of
2004" Sergey Shanov notes, that in the night of September 10/11 an
enhanced activity of small stream epsilon-Eridanids was seen. After
13.00 UT Marry Gaisky [translation is from Russian, name may be
incorrectly written] observed step by step hourly rates of 0, 3, 11, 34
meteors belonging to the stream. Lm was at 5.6 mag, till 13.00 UT
radiant was below horizon. Later director of WAMS Jeff Wood estimated
maximum ZHR at 170+/-50. Esko Lyytinen and Peter Jenniskens suggested
that an outburst can be caused by trail of unknown long-period comet.

The rest is in the first message. In addition, stream radiant on
September 11 is at RA=56 deg, Dec=-14 deg. Velocity is 57 km/sec,
so meteors would be fast. The paper contains a large list of possible
outbursts from long-period comets till 2050.

Best regards, Mikhail Maslov