Fwd Re: (meteorobs) IMO METEOR SUMMARY REPORT: 11/12 Aug 2004, Lew Gramer (GRALE)

putmi michelvandeputte at hotmail.com
Wed Aug 25 12:33:07 EDT 2004

Hi Lew and list,

For the big nights (Perseid, Geminid maximum) I am always busy with
1 minute counts. Perhaps, this is an old usage I kept after the
famous Leonid storms...mmm sweet memories..   This is a very
intensive way of observing (I think some people will find this
insane..), but it keeps you very busy the whole night long. After
the observations, I divide the data into 5 or 10 minute periods and
1 hour summary's.

This year during the Perseids, the minute counts went up to 6
Perseids. This was at 21.04 UT ; during the outbursts and WITH the
radiant still low (at +-22 degrees). At the end of the night, I had
several counts of 5 Perseids/ minute. In 2001 with the Geminids ; I
had minute counts of 7-8 GEM's!

Hoping for a new 1 minute counting session during 13-14/12/04...

Kind regards,

Michel,  who is dreaming of a new 1 minute counting session during
13-14/12/04...

--- In meteorobs at yahoogroups.com, "Lewis J. Gramer" <lgramer at u...>
wrote:
> I think Rainer meant for these comments to go out to all
> 'meteorobs' readers! Thanks for the feedback, Rainer. In
> another private email, Rainer also mentions that there IS
> a set of guidelines for reporting periods during "heavy
> activity" like a Perseid peak. These are online at:
>   http://www.imo.net/visual/major03.html#peaks
>
> PS: I'll take another look at my Excel spreadsheet today,
> and see what period times make sense for the activity! I
> also think it may be good to make TWO separate versions
> of that spreadsheet - one version for "normal" reports,
> and one for higher activity like the Perseid peak (with
> a magnitude distribution line for each period for one or
> more of the showers observed, for example)...
>
> Clear skies,
> Lew

I divided

www.imo.net