(meteorobs) Perseid peak night observation August 11/12, ATAJU

Bias, Peter V pbias at flsouthern.edu
Wed Aug 25 14:22:51 EDT 2004

On Wed, Aug 25, 2004 at 12:53:08PM -0400, Gliba, George wrote:

>I remember seeing a few Perseids during the morning of the 1969 peak while
>waiting in line for 4:30am breakfast while at Air Force boot camp at Lackland
>AFB. Although I was unhappy at the time, seeing those Perseids cheered me up.

>The moon spoiled the 1968 display, but rates were good too, but I don't recall
>what they were. The 1967 Perseids were the best I've seen, when I saw 103 the
>last hour before dawn with no moon.

 I remember seeing 93 Perseids from about 10 until 1:30 in the morning in 1967.  It was my first Perseid shower and I tried to map them using a star map out of an encyclopedia (that's how I know how many I saw; I counted the number of hash marks (:-)) on the map)!  What a ridiculous mess, but what fun!  I didn't know how to watch--sat out in the front yard and looked over the top of my house, due east.  Probably missed a bucket load of Perseids because of that and still saw so many I was happy as a clam.  Evidently, if I had stayed up longer I would have seen a really great display.  Great memories!  Thanks George!

   Pete