(meteorobs) Serious problem about analysis!

Quanzhi Ye tom6740 at yahoo.com.cn
Thu Aug 26 06:21:04 EDT 2004

Hello all,
  I've a serious problem about meteor shower analysis,
so help needed... I hope experts can give me a correct
answer.
  As you know, I did an analysis of Chinese  Perseids
observations, but Jin Zhu against me, about the
analyse method. I've wrote to R.Arlt but he hasn't
reply until now.
  As we know, there is a calculator:
ZHR = (1 + sum n) / sum (Teff/C)
and my method is, sum all the observers' n, and sum
all the observers' Teff/C, then recive a ZHR at last.
But Zhu against it, he thought the correct method
shold be, calculate every observers' ZHR, and then
avenge these ZHR. So we have some aboid debates these
days.

e.g. Observer A, lm=5, n=2; observer B, lm=6, n=4.
F=1, Teff=1, h=90, r=2.

My method: ZHR=6.6+-2.5.
Zhu's method: [ZHR(A)+ZHR(B)]/2, ZHRave=7.8.
Because ZHR(A)=8.5+-4.9 ZHR(B)=7.1+-3.2, Zhu thoughts
the final ZHR should not be smaller than the smaller
one.

And Zhu thought the calculator should be:
ZHR = sum n / sum (Teff/C). He said: if an observer
observe 1 meteors in 1 hours, and h=90 F=1 r=2 lm=6.5,
the ZHR should be 1. But I thought that's wrong
because the ZHR should be => 1, not =1.

So we have debate every day but neither of us give in.
So could the experts give us a correct answer to
these? Thanks!

-Quanzhi