(meteorobs) blind spots and black meteors

Malcolm J. Currie mjc at star.rl.ac.uk
Thu Dec 2 20:06:14 EST 2004

The sky is bright once you're dark adapted.  It's not black, be it from
faint stars, airglow, zodiacal light, artificial light etc.  My
experience of this phenomenon is like a soft-pencil line is drawn on the
sky, i.e. it's as if `meteor' was absorbing, not emitting light.  You
see a dark trail against the luminous sky.

I don't recall seeing any while observing telescopically, only visually.

I defintely agree with Norm that nebulous meteors exist.

Malcolm