(meteorobs) blind spots and black meteors

Jeff Wilson meteorrr at worldnet.att.net
Thu Dec 2 21:55:44 EST 2004

Whoa! 1966; that is a good while.  You must have seen the Leonids in 1966 right Pete?

Pulling the book Fireballs, Meteors, and Meteorites I find the only mention I've ever seen in print about the black meteor.  Mr. Povenmire makes the statement that it may be hard to convince yourself that this black meteor does not exist.  According to him fatigue is the cause of this black meteor and not to hold your breath for your observing partner to call it out.   I get the impression that he and Norman were observing buddies at one time as he writes of Norman's skill at observing etc.

By the way Norman, do you have any little trade secrets as to how one can increase the number observed during a session?

Jeff