(meteorobs) black meteors

Peter Brunone peter at brunone.com
Sat Dec 4 00:28:37 EST 2004

Hi Eric,

	Remember that if something were truly dark (i.e. emitting no
noticeable light), it would have to be humongous in order for you to see
it from that distance.  At least the size of a 747, if not much larger.

	Now that I understand that nebulous meteors are purported to
emit light in some diffuse fashion, they seem to make sense to me.  The
others (dark meteors) are both physically improbable/impossible and also
demonstrated to happen in impossible locations, like a planetarium,
which makes it highly unlikely (like six sigma unlikely, at least) that
they exist as anything more than optical/neural aberrations.

	Just for the record, when I space out in broad daylight (happens
a lot more these days with a toddler and five-week-old baby not letting
me sleep), I sometimes see things on the surface of my eye or perhaps
somewhere between the cornea and the retina.  My eye drifts after them,
and they appear to move.

Cheers,

Peter