(meteorobs) NWM 2004 Geminid meteor predictions

Norman W. McLeod III nmcleod at peganet.com
Wed Dec 8 17:28:09 EST 2004

I decided to do a worldwide quadrant-oriented set of Geminid meteor
predictions this year, based on what I have seen here in sampling all parts
of the activity curve.  The peak rate I am leaving blank.  In 2001 I was
down a full quarter of my general peak rate from the prior 25 years or
so.  Could it be the expected decline in Geminid rates has started?  It got
steadily better in my earlier years (1963 - 1975), then held quite steady
at 80 - 95/hr (1979 - 1996).  In 2001 I was back down to 64/hr at best, a
thumping drop in just a few years despite a dark sky.

The best Geminid rates come as the radiant transits the meridian at roughly
2 AM local time, plus about 2 hours either side of that.  The peak period
seems to be a day wide, so it is not necessary to be in any particular time
zone to see the top rates.

In each entry below appear the earth quadrant with the radiant at its
highest, UT date and hour (leaning to the eastern side of each quadrant ;
the American one I am located in here), double-dated night, and expected
rates with other notes.  Rates are for dark skies and should be good for
all latitudes north of roughly 10N.  Urban watchers will see only a handful
of Geminids during the faint-meteor periods, but will fare much better when
bright Geminids are around.  Some earlier and later dates are also given
with general rates.

December 9/10, 10/hr Geminids everywhere.

December 10/11, 15-20/hr Geminids but getting higher in Europe.

America, Dec 12, 07 UT, Dec 11/12 -- 35 - 40/hr.

Pacific, Dec 12, 13 UT, Dec 11/12 east, Dec 12/13 west -- 40/hr.

Asia, Dec 12, 19 UT, Dec 12/13 -- 40/hr.

Europe, Dec 13, 01 UT, Dec 12/13 -- 40/hr early, may notice increase late.

America, Dec 13, 07 UT, Dec 12/13 -- peak rates, mostly faint.

Pacific, Dec 13, 13 UT, Dec 12/13 east, Dec 13/14 west -- peak rates,
brighter ones increasing.

Asia, Dec 13, 19 UT, Dec 13/14 -- peak rates, both bright and faint.

Europe, Dec 14, 01 UT, Dec 13/14 -- peak rates, both bright and faint, may
notice decline in rates by end of night.

America, Dec 14, 07 UT, Dec 13/14 -- rate 35 - 40/hr, mostly bright early,
all bright but rapidly falling rate later.

Pacific, Dec 14, 13 UT, Dec 13/14 east, Dec 14/15 west -- 15/hr, a few
bright early, faint ones then take over.

Asia, Dec 14, 19 UT, Dec 14/15 -- 15/hr, mostly faint.

Europe, Dec 15, 01 UT, Dec 14/15 -- 10 - 15/hr, mostly faint.

America, Dec 15, 07 UT, Dec 14/15 -- 10/hr, mostly faint.

December 15/16, 5/hr everywhere.

December 16/17, 3 - 4/hr everywhere.

Norman

Norman W. McLeod III