(meteorobs) electrophonic meteors

drobnock2 drobnock at penn.com
Thu Dec 9 11:50:24 EST 2004

The "hearing" of electrophonic meteors is attributed to the
conversion
or rectification of very low frequency electromagmetic radiation into
sound. This is atributed to an object near the observer vibrating.
The
electrophonic meteor is generally thought to occur with meteors of -5
mag. or brighter.

An alternate to the electrophonic noise is in the receiving
non-fireball VLF signatures. The group may want to review the
following article:

http://www.rssd.esa.int/meteors/publications/ULF-VLF_Electric_field_me
asurements_during_the_2001_Leonid_storm_Paper.pdf-

Also check web page for Colin Price or a recent article by Martin
Beech.

Although not hearing electrophonic meteors during the 2002 Leonids.
Our group did see a correlation with the visual intensity of the
shower and an increase in non-fireball VLF signatures.

There may not be a quick explanation for one individual being able to
hear a
continuous pop pop as meteors passed, but the change in the
electrical
field made made by the electrical discharge of a meteors passing may
atribute to such an occurance.

George John Drobnock

 location.  He said that he heard some of the meteors as they
happened (not
> with the lag expected taking the speed of sound into account) and
that he
> didn't think he ws imagining it because many (but not all) of his
friends
> also heard the meteors.  The sound occurred only with the brightest
meteors,
> and he described it as sounding "like a cap gun -- pop, pop, pop."
>
> I've read a lot of reports of electrophonic sounds and have heard
it
myself,