(meteorobs) electrophonic meteors

Ed Majden epmajden at shaw.ca
Thu Dec 9 12:20:20 EST 2004

on 12/9/04 8:50, drobnock2 at drobnock at penn.com wrote:

> http://www.rssd.esa.int/meteors/publications/ULF-VLF_Electric_field_me
> asurements_during_the_2001_Leonid_storm_Paper.pdf-
>
> Also check web page for Colin Price or a recent article by Martin
> Beech.
>
> Although not hearing electrophonic meteors during the 2002 Leonids.
> Our group did see a correlation with the visual intensity of the
> shower and an increase in non-fireball VLF signatures.

    I'm still an open minded skeptic when it comes to "simultaneous" sounds
from meteors!  Until one has a "repeatable" instrumental record of such
sounds along with a video of the meteor this will be difficult to prove one
way or the other.  You will have to have several recordings as it would be
difficult to confirm the meteor you saw or recorded is responsible for the
sound, especially during a high rate shower such as the Leonid outburst.
Radio backscatter systems have this same problem I'm told.  I have forwarded
the original message to Dr. Martin Beech but so far he has not commented on
this.  If he does I will pass it on to the group.

Ed Majden
Courtenay, BC.
CANADA