(meteorobs) singing meteors

Ed Majden epmajden at shaw.ca
Thu Dec 9 19:10:20 EST 2004

on 12/9/04 11:23, Bruce McCurdy at bmccurdy at telusplanet.net wrote:

> I too am skeptical by nature re: sounds of meteors, aurora, etc., but I
> have a fair bit of experience with radio backscatter. I just wrote an
> article about our Sky Scan radio meteor school project for the February 2005
> issue of the Journal of the RASC, and the following paragraphs touched on
> this:

Hi Bruce:
    Thanks for your comments about radio backscatter.  I'm mainly an amateur
meteor spectroscopist and fireball tracker with a Sandia camera.  My
eyesight is too poor for visual observation these days but I did this in the
past as a member of the Regina Astro Society with many sessions during IGY.
See Operation Perseid 1956 in the JRASC 51, 161, Peter M. Millman.
    John Purdy and I are going to try and set up a radio FM backscatter
station in Courtenay.  I think we have most of the stuff to do it with.
John is building the computer interface for it.  Hopefully it will work, the
system I mean.  I don't know if electrical interference will be a problem as
we are on the edge of town.  Worth a try however.  I know that Peter
Millman/McKinely old radar system at Springhill near Ottawa used visual
observers to correlate visual sightings with radar echo's.  My comment was
more based on the fact that a number of meteors may occur at the same time
during a meteor storm like the Leonids and it would be difficult to say
which meteor caused which echo.  I could be all wet as I have no experience
yet in this area.  Comments from people like you are worth while!

Ed Majden
West Coast Sandia Bolide Detection Station
Courtenay B.C. CANADA

http://members.shaw.ca/epmajden/index.htm

STOP LIGHT POLLUTION IN THE COMOX VALLEY - INSTALL SHARP CUT-OFF LIGHTING
AND REPLACE THE OLD COBRA HEAD LIGHT POLLUTING FIXTURES.  SEE THE STARS
AGAIN AS THEY WERE MEANT TO BE SEEN!