(meteorobs) Leonids 2004 failed? Maybe not...

Mikhail Maslov ast0 at mail.ru
Fri Dec 10 10:22:57 EST 2004

Sac> In a message dated 12/10/04 7:05:06 AM Eastern Standard Time, ast0 at mail.ru
Sac> writes:

Sac> << I can say, that now there is no views of very strong Leonid
Sac>  activity in their next return during 2030 but in 2068 I found a very
Sac>  good encounter with 1932 trail. Its appropriate part is not perturbed
Sac>  very much and the collision is almost ideal. Ejection velocities are
Sac>  about 32-33 m/s - again faint meteors, but still acceptable. As the
Sac>  trail is quite young, the activity can be very significant, not only a
Sac>  storm, but a "strong storm". >>

Sac> Let's see . . . in 2068 I'll be 112 years old.  If I'm not taking a
Sac> "dirt bath" I'll certainly be looking.    :)

I will be 88 years old. And I'm going to watch the next pair of Venus
transits after 2012's one.

Also a correction. In my phrase "... very strong Leonid activity in their
next return during 2030" instead of "2030" should be "2030s". The
whole phrase means that there is no prospects for storm level
activity yet (I didn't still analyse trails older than of 1733), but
in some years ZHRs of several hundreds are very possible.

Mikhail Maslov