(meteorobs) Geminid followup and more

Norman W. McLeod III nmcleod at peganet.com
Fri Dec 10 14:45:25 EST 2004

Thanks to Bill for clarifying his calculations, re:

 >22:20 UT. The only assumption I made was for the half width of the shower,
>which I set at 12 hours, based on my experience.

The twist comes right after the time of peak.  Rates fall very rapidly
almost right afterwards, taking only a few hours to lose what required four
full days to build up.  The activity curve is not symmetrical -- it has a
disappointing cliff.  But the brilliance and colors of the Geminids during
that period just about makes up for the loss in numbers.  The 5-minute bins
recommended by Rainer would be particularly valuable at this time.  I
haven't done these in recent years but will in 2004 for sure.

Norman

Norman W. McLeod III
Staff Advisor
American Meteor Society