(meteorobs) Re: singing meteors

Bruce McCurdy bmccurdy at telusplanet.net
Fri Dec 10 20:44:55 EST 2004

http://www.imcce.fr/en/presentation/equipes/GAP/membres/JV/Song_of_the_IMC.html

> Just kidding ;-)

    I love it. And I really enjoy that Romanian meteor poetry that keeps
turning up occasionally. Who says art and science don't mix?

    Since we're on a musical theme, I suppose I should mention my favourite
radio meteors of all time. Or as we call the spikes on our strip charts,
'hits'. :) These snippets of alien broadcasts were overheard on radio bursts
at the dark site.

#5: Piggybacked on a meteor with a slowly dissipating and delightfully
twisting train, Ozzy Osborne: 'We're going off the rails on the Crazy
Train!'

#4: In a two-second-long burst during the 2003 Geminids, heard the four
words 'Saddam Hussein was arrested...' News to me!

#3: During a minute-long overdense meteor during the 2002 Leonids, heard the
call sign 'Classic Country 92' which I subsequently determined is in Fort
Worth, Texas, 2700 km from Edmonton. It was during a newscast (arguably the
best programming on a country music station :) which described how the
Leonids were largely clouded out in Europe. Bad news, but...  Live via
Leonid!

#2: During an early meteor of the great Leonids shower of 2001, just the
title line, very loud and completely out of the blue, of the Kiss classic
'I'm Gonna Rock and Roll All Night!' The whole parking lot was in stitches.

#1: Same night, but after the peak, David Bowie's 'Space Oddity',
specifically the lines: 'Can you hear me Major Tom? Can you hear me Major
Tom? Can you hear .....'  [fade to static]

    regards, Bruce