(meteorobs) Geminid first impression 2004 Dec 12/13

Norman W. McLeod III nmcleod at peganet.com
Mon Dec 13 06:02:09 EST 2004

I just came in from a 6-hour watch  (1026 pm - 430 am) in rather cool
conditions, dropping to the high 40'sF.  Sky was excellent, LM
7.3.  Geminids seemed to start off well but then faded.  Definitely not
like the same date in past leap years.  I skipped the last hour since so
little was going on.  Am thinking I got a couple of hours over 60
Geminids.  Will be tallying them up later today.  Looking more like my
thoughts on the Geminid decline are confirmed.  Joan and I plan on going
out tonight 9 pm to around 2 am to cover the bright Geminid period.  Best
seen so far was a  -8m.

Another house has sprung up just 4 blocks west of my site, with a damn
light shining through a gap in the pine trees.  I faced SE for a full view
with the car blocking the light.  Made use of it to read a big clock
without turning my flashlight on.  Guess this site is doomed, one day I
will go out there and find a house on it.  Will have to try some other
block in the area eventually.  No use having a remote house for astronomy,
as someone else will move onto the next lot and ruin the whole place.

The night before, partly cloudy at times from town, I spent 15 minutes here
and there just casually watching in big clearings.  So no Geminids at all,
but did see a  -3m Delta Arietid with heavy fragmenting at the end.

Norman

Norman W. McLeod III
Staff Advisor
American Meteor Society