(meteorobs) Geminids Dec 13 from Southern CA

Robert Lunsford lunro.imo.usa at cox.net
Mon Dec 13 08:29:43 EST 2004

I just returned home from a fine session with Joseph Assmus and Wayne Hally.
I counted for six hours from 10pm-4am under perfectly clear skies and balmy
December temperatures. If the 11/12 was good (which it was) then the 12/13
was spectacular. Meteor rates far exceeded one per minute for the first
three hours. The last three hours did not seem so impressive, somewhat like
Norman experienced. There were still bursts of 5-6 meteors per minute but
then several minutes without activity. The first three hours seemed to have
constant activity. I have no idea of the exact counts as the data is all on
audio tape. I have had only six hours of sleep in the last two days so I
need some shuteye before obtaining the data.

The brightest fireball tonight was a blue -6, which left a twelve second
train in Lepus. There was also a white -5 that shot directly overhead early
in the watch.

More later after some sleep!

Bob Lunsford