(meteorobs) Desert Geminid sparks overwhelming 12-13-2004

MexicoDoug at aol.com MexicoDoug at aol.com
Tue Dec 14 01:56:14 EST 2004

Hola List,

Need to share this...please kindly quietly delete if you are not interested
in a meteoric experience that lifted me into the constellations last night in
the most soothingly contradictory manner.

I was in the desert due west 100 kilometers from Monclova, Coahuila, Mexico
last night with the two loves of my life (one who is starting to hobble around
 and the other which I like to hobble around), and had some terrible luck.
It was an expedition to study some interesting geology of the area and give
the  city girls some fresh air, and we found a very spiny site and walked in 4
kilometers off an almost impassable dirt road.  Embarrassingly I have been  so
busy lately it didn't even occur to me about the Geminids although the prior
night while enjoying Comet Machholz I saw an average of 1 meteor each 4
minutes  (15 per hour), around 11 PM - the prior remarkable night, but I'd not seen
 anything whatsoever yet.

Got caught in the desert at the far end when the Sun fell and I had to
navigate along arroyos with Mom in toe who couldn't even see me right in front  of
her and I came out a human pincushion with two knuckles inoperable and
swollen now and all kinds of needle picked spines.  Dumb move but the scene  was so
pretty you had to feel it to understand.

Got back to the VW Bug and was afraid to get near it as a dim white light
was emanating where only the little red dot for the alarm should show.   Well, a
half hour later we snuck up to see thew lights were left on and the  battery
dead and not a sole around for many kilometers, not to mention work  plans for
everyone.  Managed to push the car 200 meters, and being totally  exhausted
since push starting strangely is disabled with the car security chip,  then got
to an outcropping through the raod and couldn't do it.  Left the  very
frightened girls in the car locked in and started walking sore, defeated  and scared
of the unknown (not the animals...the people)

...Started walking.  It turned out to be 15 kilometers down the road  and
then arroyos with towering mud banks casting eerie shadows everywhere and
contorted, dried mesquites reminiscent of the Lord of the Rings.  This was  worse
than being stuck on a rock in a hard place:)  It was 9:30 PM.   The starlight in
total absense of lunar reflections was incredible, as the sky  looked like
tapioca pudding and the Milky Way like a smeared Orion nebula from a  Palomar
foto.  I could see by this light much better than being closer to  urban areas.
The fear which welled up in my stomach and played upon my  spine as I
continued I thought would be my very unwelcomed companion.

Then something happened.  Totally absorbed in my present situation the
awesome serenity of the glreaming sky and and distorted howls of wild animals in
the distance started to relax me as I diverted all energy into making haste,
impervious to the new razor sharp spines that infrequently crossed my path,
ducking through occasional dark arroyo tunnels without knowing what was on the
other end.  Maybe the fear and need balanced and I was plain numb.  I  cannot
describe the uplifting feeling of seeing my friends the Geminids - plenty  as
bright as Sirius and a few 10 times (linearly) brighter dazzeled my poor soul
in that desert.  First one, then another then another, then two
coincidentally...then three at the same time...repeating every minute...and  often every
thirty seconds.  I walked on and on and on and it was simply a  surreal dream
and perhaps I shouldn't bore you further but get on a couch and  see and kind
shrink.  The uplifting feeling that was inspired inside of me  left me so
overwhelmed, any foolish fears or other earthly foolishness, were  totally replaced
by such celestially magnificent emotions and sights  that by the time I
reached a ranch house that had a truck at 2 AM and over  15 kilometers (10 miles)
away I truly was in an ethereal trance and I assure you  I hadn't ingested
anything at all.  The radiant was directly at the zenith  and many a fireball
seemed to be truly sparks and trains of falling stars  continuousily around me.
Even fear was gone as my omnicience told me the  girls were cared for and I
need to see the shrink for sure since I was  noteably saddened in a strange way
that I had arrived at the lonely ranchhouse  and wasn't shot on site, since
rousing the frightened residents took them by  surprise.

The desert meanwile became frigid for the fair ladies and first at hand was
a bonfire which destroyed the superb night vision but hardly seemed to affect
the strengthening show.  We got out and even coming home throught the
highways in spite of the headlights vertical bright falls were seen every  minute.

Statistically it wasn't an observation night, but I did have several hours
to contemplate after the cold sweat was replaced by the warmth of meteor
observations, like sparkling friends overpowering the desert and taming it for
what truly has been the great show on earth I have ever witnessed first  hand.
Every 15 seconds from 12-2:30 I could count on a dazzling meteor,  then every
two to three minutes a triple meteor coincident show defined as  within about 2
seconds.  And there were at least three times when my  confused and hasty
walking saw four coincident meteors.  That is 300 per  hour for two to three
hours, and 150-200/hour leading up...

Maybe now you can understand why not once did I have a moment to take my
binoculars out of my knapsack to look at Comet Machholz which was faintly
visible to my unaided and somewhat nearsighted eyes.  We got home at  Sunrise and
the starting of the car is a story best left out except for  mentioning it was
complicated but finally successful and the girls were fast  asleep most of the
time in their slumberthinking I had something to do with the  heavenly show
since I'm the one always talking about meteors...  And a blue  teardrop 6-8
second fireball with no persistent train at minus 4 to minus 5  magnitude under
those conditions fit right in and wasn't the highlight of the  observing night
by a longshot...

Saludos, Doug
N 25.7 Deg  W 100.2 Deg
NE Mexico