(meteorobs) Geminids observation from China

jin zhu jinzhu at bjp.org.cn
Tue Dec 14 04:45:29 EST 2004

Dear friends,

I went to Pinggu and Xinglong for some visits with some friends last
night, and was trying to make Geminids observations before down. It
was froggy and we just saw some clear skies not too long during our journey.
After I arrived Xinglong, the observers (not for meteors) mentioned
that they saw quite a lot meteors when they came out to check the
weather, at around UT 15:00-15:30, Dec. 13/14 2004, something like
10-20 meteors in 5-6 minutes. It's a pity that the weather was not
good with some clouds and we saw some Geminids during the very short
periods we stayed outside at around UT 17:15. It was quite cold and
I decided to take a rest (for the drivings) and start the observation
after 19:00 UT, which was 3:00 in morning local time. However the
weather turned to be worst and was almost cloudy later. So I missed
this year's Geminids...

I got a call from a quite experienced Hubei observer, who is visiting
Hunan Province and made a observation last night. He could not be
able to access to internet in the following two days, so I just
send his briefly report based on his talk on telephone, which should
be given in more detail after he goes back home. It seems that there
were some Geminids outburst around the midnight for Asia...