(meteorobs) Quicky Geminid report . . .

Skywayinc at aol.com Skywayinc at aol.com
Tue Dec 14 08:55:43 EST 2004

After arriving home from the television station, I was fortunate to have a
90-minute break in the cloud-cover last night (from about midnight to 1:30 a.m.)
to watch the Geminids.  Quite a bit of cloudiness stayed off to my south and
southwest.  Shot a role of Fuji 800.  Twenty three out of twenty four
exposures came up with nothing, but on the very last shot I "think" I may have caught
a zero-magnitude Gem sliding through Leo's Sickle.  I'l bring the roll in to
be developed this afternoon.

It has been quite a few years since I've gotten a good look at the Gems (it
snowed last year; clouds prevailed the previous year) and the one thing that
struck me last night is that they all seemed like "field mice" scurrying across
the sky.  This, as opposed to the Leonids or Perseids, which appear as very
swift streaks. Maybe living up here in the country (rural Putnam Valley, NY)
these past couple of years made me think of this analogy.    :)

-- joe rao