(meteorobs) Geminid Dec 13/14 preliminary report from KS, USA (MATBE)

Bertunit at aol.com Bertunit at aol.com
Wed Dec 15 10:37:34 EST 2004

Hello list!

I was out in E Central KS under ideal sky conditions (+6.65)from 0345-0625 on
Dec14th (Dec 13/14). Also got 4 5 min. bins near 10 UT on the 13th as well.

I recorded in 5 min. bins and can say the tempo was fairly consistent
thruout the period, with perhaps a slight decrease on rates as the night
was progressing.  Had one -5 Geminid and also a -3, + a couple -2's I
believe. Saw several Monocerotids and a nice Sigma Hydrid as well.
A very long, VERY slow nice meteor was also seen possibly a Delta Arietid and
also lining up with the Andromedid radiant area, duration 3.5 seconds.
The bright Geminids were largely colorless this year, with a few yellow-green
ones mixed in. I doubt if I was over one a minute with hourly rates during
the watch
but had some bins with 6-8 Geminids mixed in. I cannot recall one 5 min. bin
going by without at least one Geminid.

Nice display, will have the rates and bins done by this weekend. Sorry but
work/time/baby constraints prevent me from getting the data in any faster.

For the other members of the list I have made acquaintance with over the
past few years, we welcomed the newest member of my little astro-family
here in Overland Park KS on election day, Nov. 2nd, Matilda Capella Matous.
I bet all of you can guess which name I got to choose!

Later during the holidays I will give a report regarding the very first hour
after
dark observations thru the week preceding-to the night after Perseid peak &
results gleaned from those watches.  Like the Geminids it is one of the few
just after dark periods (evening) that more than a smattering of activity can
be observed.  People with work and other obligations that prevent watching
late in the night will hopefully be enlightened by the results I obtained and
be more willing to step out and observe during that time period next year.

Regards,

Bert G. Matous
Overland Park KS