(meteorobs) semi-formal Geminid observations, Sharon MA 15 December 2004

Richard Kramer kramer at sria.com
Wed Dec 15 11:05:58 EST 2004

During the course of a long walk with the dog, spent 25 minutes sitting on
a bench informally watching. Unfortunately, I was wearing my bifocals,
which effectively limit my field of view for dimmer meteors.

LM overhead was around 4 fading rapidly to 2 away from the zenith due to
haze and urban light pollution.

Observing overhead centered between Orion and Gemini, from 06:15 to 06:40
UT, teff 0.35 hr, I saw only 2 meteors, both Geminids, one at magnitude 3
with a white color and one at magnitude 2 with a green color. Given my
bifocals, the light pollution, and a couple of trees, I would estimate
obscuration at 60%.

Location was:
Sharon MA USA
71 deg 10.87 min W   42 deg 6.53 min N  Elev 220 ft

Geminid activity is clearly down dramatically. I'm not sure if this
observation is usable, but now you have it such as it was.

Richard Kramer