(meteorobs) Geminids and sonic booms

Jure Atanackov jureatanackov at email.si
Wed Dec 15 16:59:16 EST 2004

Taurids produce sonic booms, there is (was?) an audio file on IMO FIDAC site of
a sonic boom produced by a -10 Taurid fireball. I'm not sure about the
composition of Taurid meteoroids - cometary material only or perhaps also some
denser material as, IIRC, there are also several asteroids associated with the
stream? Assuming greater density also corresponds to greater strength, I see no
reason why large Geminid meteoroids couldn't penetrate low enough in the
atmosphere to produce a sonic boom.
As for what the people heard, you're most probably right.
My $0.02...
CS!Jure