(meteorobs) Zeta Aurigids? etc.

Ed Cannon ecannon at mail.utexas.edu
Sun Dec 19 03:10:11 EST 2004

On each of the nights I was observing Geminids, I saw a couple
of very short (less than 5 degrees), slowish meteors within
the main part of Auriga (very roughly RA 05:30, Dec +40) that
were clearly not going in the right direction to be Geminids.
(They were perpendicular or even going toward northern Gemini.)
I wonder if they might have been Zeta Aurigids.

http://comets.amsmeteors.org/meteors/showers/zeta_aurigids.html

However, I also wonder if z. Aurigids may be anthelion meteors,
though these seemed perhaps somewhat too far north for that.

2. One of the very best meteors those two evenings was a -4 on
Dec 12/13, long and very fast, with a nice wake or train, that
traveled from east to west (right to left) about halfway up
the sky.  It seemed like an earth-grazer.  I was facing pretty
near due north.

3. One of the ones I marked as a Geminid was fairly near the
GEM radiant was short and had a wake or train that widened to
make it into a nearly isoceles triangle as it ended, with the
short side at the front, where it ended.  It seemed notable.

4. The night of Dec. 12/13 my lifetime total passed 3,000
meteors.  More than half of them have been Leonids (mainly
2001).  I'm very pleased to have been able to see so many
meteors and really appreciate all that I've been learning via
Meteorobs and the IMO, AMS, NAMN, DMS, ALPO, etc.  Thank you
very much!

Ed Cannon - ecannon at mail.utexas.edu - Austin, Texas, USA