(meteorobs) Geminid comparisons

Kim Youmans ksyo at bellsouth.net
Sun Dec 19 09:01:28 EST 2004

Hi Norman and all,

>>>If you get to observe in fully dark skies, you would easily be double my
>>>rates.
I have to wonder, really, how much of a difference it would truely
make....at least, from my best at around +6.6 and yours, at +7.3.  To flog
an expired pony once more, my observations with Lew, Bob, & Wayne (and
Cathy!) seemed to demonstrate that I *may* not be able to experience a
truely dark sky like many of the rest of you.  Bob and Lew were both able to
star-count much higher than I was though we were all at the same spot.  I
never counted higher than +6.6 (if I recall correctly) while at times the
wunderkinds had a sky better than +7.  I looked up and saw a sky that seemed
no different than the one I had back at home. I couldn't see the gegenshien
despite Lew's pointing it out to me. But my rates were comparable to, though
lower than, Bob's.  Lew was seeing quite a bit more.
   In the past I've reported to the list about the "flashes" I often see
that I can't quite pin down (and therefore don't report).  I have a feeling
these are +6 and fainter meteors that Bob, Lew, Jure, and others would
actually see.  On occasion I've had observing partners confirm these
flashes, so most of them are not visual artifacts.  I think my motion
perception is very good and makes up for what my eyes can't see (in terms of
faint starlight).  So I may do as well in +6.5 skies as someone else does at
+7.  Maybe.

Kim Y.